Owner of A French Touch Salon, Patricia Kaspian, gives us those steps and the short version.
Those of us living or working on the central coast, we all know about the microclimates, from the dry, tough heat up in Paso Robles to the foggy, cool days in Morro Bay. And of course, add in the environmental hazards such as the recent fires and our skin is screaming for attention. What can we do for our skin, to start the day off right? I sat down with a French touch salon’s owner and skincare expert, Patricia Kaspian to find out what we should be doing for our morning skincare routine. I have to admit I’m not good when it comes to a routine with many steps; i mean who has that kind of time these days but then, the alternative is damaged and prematurely aging skin and who seriously wants to look old before their time?! Exactly! We’re on the same page.
Hi Patricia! I know you have a very busy schedule so let’s get to it…please educate us on what we need to do for our morning skincare routine.
Patricia: Your morning routine is to begin with a freshening cleanse so it responds well to the products that you’ll be using. These are the steps i highly recommend…
- A milk cleanser…it won’t strip the skin.
- Toner…a very important part of your routine! It removes every last bit of dirt or what the cleanse doesn’t get. It prepares your skin for better absorption of the products that will follow.
- Then your eyes…a very delicate area. Use a multi-action eye contour cream or serum that penetrates well into this delicate tissue to address concerns like fine lines, puffiness ir dark circles.
- This next step is critical and not many women know about it…add a professional vitamin c (over the counter versions fall sadly short of what a spa or medical line such as Jan Marini can provide in terms of results).a daily vitamin which is a free radical scavenger. For the whole day, it builds the skin’s defenses against any environmental aggressions.
- If you’re applying the Jan Marini skincare regimen, cleansing and vitamin c (above) are followed with an exfoliating glycolic acid bio-clear cream to stimulate cell turnover to keep your skin glowing.
- Customized serum and moisturizer is next to create that nourishing, moisturizing barrier which delivers more peptides & anti-oxidants. And, a good moisturizer will make the skin supple and less prone to wrinkles over time.
- Don’t forget about your neck cream!! We have Jan Marini’s Juveneck. Please don’t stop at the face. Take it downtown ladies and nourish that décolletage.
- Lastly, the finisher, is the sunscreen…whether it is Sothys SPF 30 (face & body), the anti-oxidant SPF 30 from Jan Marini or the all-in-one, make-up & SPF 50 mineral sunscreen by Colorescience…we have many powerful protective options that fit your taste and lifestyle. But remember…sunscreens last only 80-90 minutes a day so you must reapply! Even if you’re driving.
What do people need to know about most face washes? If there is soap in the wash, do they not tend to strip our skin?
Patricia: Yes, they do, compromising the delicate acid mantle of the skin. I recommend using a purifying foam gel for oily skin, for dry or sensitive skins use a milk cleanser. I’d suggest using the bioglycolic cleanser which dissolves more dead cells and debris, getting rid of the flakiness and dryness so then, you’re left with skin primed and ready for better absorption.
Most people have a lifestyle, and patience, that can only handle a few steps in the morning. What steps would you say are a priority if someone just can’t or won’t take the necessary time in the morning to care for their skin?
Patricia: First, micellar waters are very big right now. They’ve been popular in Europe for years and we’re loving this easy peazy option because, they thoroughly clean and tone the skin and double as an eye makeup remover. Micellar water by Sothys is a great choice and perfect for all skin types. They can’t be beat for gym workouts and travel kits. Next, the vitamin c…it’s critical. It’s a step that you can’t afford to miss. Followed by your sunscreen. An anti-oxidant sunscreen which is actually hydrating. That could be the shortened version of taking care of and protecting your skin for the day. However, for those of you that have dry skin…you have to add a hydrating step with a serum or cream moisturizer.
Ok, people. Those are the steps for you to follow. Whether you do them all or can’t make the time and do the short version…starting your day off right by protecting and hydrating your skin will keep you looking fresh and youthful. You can come in the salon and find everything you need to follow these steps…one stop shop and Patricia would be more than happy to help you and answer any questions you might have. Patricia has high ratings and a following for a reason! Better yet, book online and get the full “French touch” experience! Au revoir!