Bonjour, Mes Amis!
Summer is over, and we’re finally getting a taste of fall’s fog and chill today! I love cooler weather, and am embracing the chance to wear boots and sweaters today!
However, we at A French Touch and our friends at Colorescience want to remind you that sun protection is not just a thing of summer days past! Our skin is always vulnerable to sun damage, even during cold weather and fog!
The Skin Cancer Foundation says, “You are probably in the habit of packing sunscreen for a day at the beach or pool. But the sun is up there 365 days a year, and you need protection much of that time to reduce your lifetime sun-exposure total. Everyday exposure counts; you do not have to be actively sunbathing to get a damaging dose of the sun.”
They give these guidelines to help provide your skin with the year-round protection it needs to be healthy and to fight off the visible aging that sun damage causes:
- Use a sun screen of 15 spf or higher every single day. Colorescience has you covered here, with their 30 and 50 spf Sunforgettable natural mineral protection brushes, which provide sheer, non-irritating physical protection from the sun. All Colorescience brushes and primers have an SPF rating of 20 or higher, making them perfect for that extra bit of protection added to your make up routine! If you’d rather use a cream than a powder, Jan Marini’s Antioxidant SPF 33 Protectant is the perfect alternative, and is on sale while supplies last for 50% off with the purchase of any other Jan Marini product! Stop by whenever you have a chance!
- Make sure to protect all areas of exposed skin, and easily overlooked places like lips, ears, around eyes, scalp, anything that isn’t covered by clothing!
- Reapply every 2 hours at least, regardless of the SPF!
- Cover up! Wear non-sheer fabrics, hats, and sunglasses to ensure further protection from the sun, especially on sunny days.
- Seek the shade, but never a tan! Remember, mes amis, the only safe tan comes in a bottle (and even then, only from high-quality brands like Sothys!)
- UV rays can penetrate clouds and fog! “Just because you can’t see your shadow doesn’t mean you’re safe from the sun’s damaging rays. Believe it or not, up to 80 percent of the sun’s UV rays can penetrate through clouds and fog.”
Your skin’s youthfulness can only go as far as you are willing to go to preserve it! Protecting your skin from sun damage is the easiest and most effective step you can take to preventing the visible signs of aging. So remember, apply and reapply, every day!